Shannon Baker, a kindergarten teacher at Eagle Mountain Elementary School, has been named as the October recipient of the “Citizens Bank Above & Beyond Award” for the Batesville School District, the bank said in a Tuesday release.
Citizens Bank and the Batesville Schools collaborated in 2012 to present a monthly “Above & Beyond Award” to school staff members in recognition of exceptional service to students, parents, their school, peers, and the district.
All school district employees may be nominated for the award by their peers. Recipients of the award, which includes a certificate of appreciation from the board along with a $25 gift card and 20-ounce insulated tumbler from Citizens Bank.
Baker (pictured, left with Citizens Bank’s Ashley Engles) was selected from four deserving nominees. The nominations for her frequently mentioned her positive attitude and dedication to her students. Some of the comments included:
- “Shannon is the epitome of a hard-working teacher. She inspires me.”
- “She knows how each of her students are doing: socially, emotionally, and academically.”
- “Shannon has the most positive and cheerful attitude of anyone in our building. A smile appears on her face at 3:00 when all of the rest of us are worn out!”
- “Just doing enough to get by is not acceptable to her; she truly wants what is best for all students.”
- “I enjoy how Shannon uses positive reinforcement with her students and calls them ‘friends.’”